Monday, October 15, 2012

Wordstock 2012

So this was my second year attending the Wordstock book fair at the Oregon Convention Center - my first year as a published author. I manned the Williamette Writers table for an afternoon shift (I signed up a new member!) and sold my book as well. This year's event was just as cool as last year's, except there weren't as many food choices.

Forgot to take a picture so instead here is the Wordstock logo
At last year's event, I attended a panel where several literary agents spoke. On my way out, I bumped into one of them in the elevator. For a moment, I thought that perhaps this was a moment of serendipity - that one day I could say, yes, I actually did meet my agent in an elevator. After I delivered my pitch, though, she informed me that she didn't handle YA sci-fi/fantasy (she wasn't just blowing me off - I confirmed this fact later on her website). So much for serendipity.

If you're an author and/or a lover of books, you really should check out Wordstock. Be prepared to spend a little bit of money: tickets this year were $7; parking was $7 for three hours or so; food at the restaurant was kinda pricey; and, of course, there were so many good books on sale. All things considered, I'd say it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment