Thursday, March 14, 2013

Music Vs. Writing

My band Second Player Score went into the studio last week. We spent a day recording one song - a fun little tune called Sad & Glamorous. You can listen to it here.


Someone asked me recently which I prefer: playing music or writing.

For me, playing music is immediate, active, physical and visceral. I pick up my guitar and dive right into it. It's also a very social activity. When I'm playing music it's usually with other people, unless I'm learning a song off of a recording - in which case I'm still playing with other people, they just aren't in the same room as me. When I'm performing, I get instant and obvious feedback from the people in the audience.

Writing is more passive, intellectual, and solitary. To be honest, there are times when I find it a bit of a challenge to "crank up" into a writing state of mind. Once I'm there, however, and I get into a groove, reality slips away and I can lose myself for hours in the world that I'm creating. It's a pretty cool experience, I must say.

So really, even though both activities are creative and artistic outlets, it's hard to compare them to each other. I would say that playing music is like eating (the body is active), and writing is like sleeping (the mind is active). I enjoy doing both very much, and I wouldn't be able to live without either of them.

Any author/musicians out there? I'd love to hear your take on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment